Former Rep. Eric Swalwell was reportedly confronted by FBI agents at San Francisco International Airport over the weekend, with federal authorities seizing his cellphone and other electronics as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.
Agents served the former California congressman with a search warrant Saturday after he arrived in California, according to a Daily Mail report. Sources told the outlet that authorities took Swalwell’s cellphone and additional electronic devices during the encounter.
Swalwell, 45, reportedly cooperated with agents at the airport.
Federal authorities also executed additional search warrants Sunday at Swalwell’s Washington, D.C., residence, according to the report. Agents reportedly seized other items that could potentially serve as evidence in the investigation.
The reported searches come as Swalwell faces multiple allegations of sexual misconduct. Among the allegations is a claim from a former staffer who accused Swalwell of raping her twice while she was too intoxicated to consent.
Another woman has accused Swalwell of drugging her before sexually assaulting her in 2018.
Two additional women have alleged that the former congressman sent them unsolicited images of his genitals.
Swalwell ended his campaign for governor of California following public accusations from four women. He had been considered a frontrunner in the race at the time the allegations surfaced.
The Department of Justice opened an investigation into Swalwell in April. The New York Post said it contacted the DOJ for comment regarding the latest developments.
Swalwell has also faced scrutiny from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
The California Democrat announced his resignation from Congress on April 13 and has largely remained outside the public spotlight since stepping down.
The reported FBI encounter also comes as newly declassified records shed additional light on Swalwell’s previous interactions with a Chinese spy known as “Fang Fang.”
The documents were released by the White House Transparency Task Force and detail Swalwell’s past interactions with Fang.
According to the newly declassified records, Swalwell told the FBI that he had “occasionally hooked up” with Fang.
Swalwell remained largely out of public view Monday as those records were released.
The latest developments add to the scrutiny surrounding the former California lawmaker following his resignation from Congress and the end of his gubernatorial campaign.
While the Department of Justice investigation was opened in April, the reported seizure of Swalwell’s electronics marks a new development in the federal probe.
Authorities have not been quoted in the report detailing what evidence they were seeking from the electronic devices or the additional materials reportedly seized from Swalwell’s Washington residence.
[READ MORE: ABC Sues FCC, Accuses Trump Administration of ‘Retaliatory Campaign’ Against Network]



