Rep. Tom Kean Jr. is now reportedly speaking publicly for the first time in weeks after an extended absence from Capitol Hill that left many lawmakers and constituents wondering when — or if — the New Jersey Republican would return to Congress.
Kean, who has not cast a vote in the House since March 5, offered only limited details about his condition during a brief and somewhat cryptic phone interview Thursday with the New Jersey Globe. While the congressman insisted he is recovering and expects to resume his duties soon, the interview appeared to raise nearly as many questions as it answered.
Just one day earlier, House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters that he had recently spoken with Kean and came away encouraged about the congressman’s condition.
“Yeah, look, I talked to Tom,” Johnson said during a Capitol Hill press conference. “It’s been a few weeks ago now on the phone, and he sounded good and optimistic. And we’re expecting him back here soon.”
Johnson added that Kean had experienced what he described as a “medical issue” and indicated the congressman intended to eventually provide fuller public disclosure about the matter.
Still, Kean’s own remarks did little to shed much additional light on the situation. The Republican congressman confirmed he is recovering from an illness but declined to elaborate extensively on the nature of the health issue that has kept him away from Washington for more than two months.
“My doctors are confident that I’m on the road to a full recovery,” Kean said during the phone interview. “I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents.”
Kean also told the outlet he expects to return to both voting and campaigning within the coming weeks as he prepares for what he says will be a run for a third term in 2026.
“I anticipate that in the next couple of weeks, I’ll return to voting and to the campaign trail,” he said, while adding that he has remained in regular contact with his congressional office throughout his absence.
According to the report, Kean emphasized that doctors expect no long-term complications and said there has been no impact on his cognitive health. He reportedly described his prognosis as “positive” and said there are no anticipated chronic health effects.
The lengthy silence surrounding the congressman’s absence had increasingly fueled speculation in Washington, where lawmakers are often under pressure to remain publicly accountable to the voters they represent. In an era when Americans are watching Congress closely amid mounting international tensions and growing debate over America’s role overseas, extended absences from elected officials can quickly become a source of concern for constituents seeking steady leadership at home rather than more political uncertainty abroad.
Before Thursday’s interview, Kean’s only public communication since early March came in a statement posted to social media on April 27.
“I want to thank my constituents and colleagues for their patience as I address a personal medical issue,” the statement read. “My doctors continue to assure me that my recovery will be complete and that I will be back to the job I love very soon.”
Kean added that he expected to return to a “full schedule” and emphasized that his absence had been personally difficult because of the seriousness with which he approaches his responsibilities in Congress.
[READ MORE: Vanessa Trump Reveals Breast Cancer Diagnosis, Receives Support From Family and Loved Ones]



